06 January 2010

"The only place you'll want to be..."

I joked with my friend Michael that I should write a book about how awesome I think he is. Then I realized I wasn't joking, and wanted to blog about it.

There's that oft-quoted saying by Aristotle that friendship is one soul dwelling in two bodies. I don't believe that. I believe friendship, like what I have with Michael, is two souls colliding and connecting in a sublime display of warm yet electric golden sunlight. Comfort and excitement.

"Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand.” (author unknown)

Michael and I, we do run fingers through each others soul. It's not just once we are understood, nor does the experience become less amazing or surprising because of the frequency. It reminds me of multiple orgasms, actually--not that there's anything sexual between us.

I wonder what my life at Union would be like if I'd never met Michael. I don't think I'd be at the place I am now, which in turn would mean I wouldn't see or interact with the world in the same way. Usually I refrain from making any sort of definitive statement about how things would be if something were different, but I know that my quality of life (and I don't mean creature comforts) would have been drastically diminished.

I look at the spectacular ties I have with friends like Michael, ties that do not restrain nor suppress but lift and beckon; helping me walk more bravely toward sunrises I may have previously regarded with suspicion. I wonder how many more exquisite people, capable of touching cool fingers to my soul, are floating out in the world. Or across the classroom.

Tomorrow never looked so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment