17 February 2010

3/4 College-Life Crises (yes, this again)

Sociology. No matter the context, I keep thinking about it. Social construct. It's everywhere (mostly because I'm inside of it). Fitt's World Lit, I always spin the wheel on Sociology. Conflict and Peacemaking, I relate every article or paper to concepts like Structural Violence and the Trope of Marginality. Public Relations, I learn about (aka, pay attention to) the way humans relate in a crises or react toward persuasion. Reporting, understanding the best ways to approach people, make them feel comfortable with body positioning, draw out conversation from them.

Social psychology. I can't get enough of it. Those parts of my classes, I love. The rest, I very nearly hate. While sitting in classes, I wonder about why everyone does everything (okay, not just in class). I develop (not so) silly theories about how writing utensil and shoe choices reflect personality and priorities. Maybe everyone does that. Maybe it's just common curiosity. Or maybe curiosity, even the common type, shouldn't be so easily written off.


I don't wish I could press re-wind and arrive back at fall of 2007 again. If I did anything differently, I would have missed out on many interesting (and enriching) experiences. But I really wish I didn't have to graduate next year--even though I'm completely tired of school. I wish I could just switch my major without it killing me in loans. I think that's really the clincher. If I could, what would I do? I would probably transfer to another school--maybe in America's northwest (just because my friend Tyler says I'd like the people). I would figure out a way study sociology and psychology without getting into social work or becoming a psychologist. But how?

Last year, I met a cashier at Open Harvest named Schyler (she introduced me to hemp cereal and milk, for which I'll forever be grateful). She graduated with a major in Women's Studies and minors in Human Rights and Diversity, LGBTQ Studies, and English. How rad would that be? But she wants to get her masters in Social Work.

What do I want to do? For Mr. Blake's Peacemaking class, we're supposed to write (part of) a paper about an issue we're passionate about. Then we're supposed to detail how we're going to dedicate our lives to it, and what sort of goals or steps we'll be making to fulfill those dreams.

I'm so passionate, so that should be easy--right? Not so much. I'm passionate, but not focused. On one hand, I think that's totally okay. Maybe more than okay. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a plan and excuse to change schools and majors. But I need focus to do that, and there are so many options for my future that I'm afraid to close any more doors. 

What could let me:
  • Live in a developing country doing International Community Development
  • Possibly go to graduate school for the above
  • (While/if not doing that) live in an intentional community
  • Live on the road/backpack through: North America, Europe and India
  • Help give water to the thirsty, food to the hungry, comfort to the suffering, and liberation to the socially oppressed
  • Learn, live and teach others about sustainable living (without any science degrees)
  • Not work for the government
  • Not have professional dress codes
  • Positively impact the world with each step that I take and decision I make
  • Be inspired, excited, ever-learning and content

1 comment:

  1. whoops! you already know schy! i read the newer post before this one. well, you've already talked with schy about a wgs degree... but the other offers of chats etc. stand!

    ReplyDelete