04 February 2010

1 week, 4 days.

Today was my second time meeting with Stan (he works at Union and one of the many things he does is help people quit smoking). It was my first time meeting by myself, which was more awkward than when Chelsi and I met. When there's more than two people, you don't have to hold direct eye contact for so long, and if you don't hold eye contact then where do you look? I think I've just been slightly socially awkward most of the day--sometimes I just have really off-kilter days.

He gave me a packet called "If you decide to quit smoking: a guide to resources and information that can help you succeed." The first half wasn't anything I hadn't heard before, or just didn't apply to me. I'm not going to consider my child's health or anything like that. When I got page thirteen, however, I found something that would be helpful.

"Talk to friends, family, and coworkers about why you want to quit, and how important it is to you. One way they might help is by encouraging notes: "I'm so proud of you for not smoking." "I know you can do it." Post the notes in places you usually."

I think that would be awesome. I saved the text message from Nikki she sent forever ago encouraging me not to smoke. It's helped me out quite a few times. But how do I begin that conversation?

"Hi, I'm a smoker. Can you please write me notes?" Yeah, probably not so much. I'm not sure I should keep reading this packet, however helpful that one section was. Talking about quitting smoking makes me think about smoking, which...makes me think about smoking. Maybe if it wasn't a million pages it wouldn't be so bad. Or mention the word "smoking" a million times per paragraph. Aughh.

But on a happy note--today's snowfall was beautiful. Clean. Beautiful. Like my lungs will be. Hopefully not as flakey though. That would just be awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment