02 March 2010

Someday, she'll be there.

You'll Make for a Perfect Rainy Weekend

by Michael Steingas 

One morning I'll wake up and you'll be beside me:
snoring, hair a mess, sprawled on my side of the bed, hogging the covers.
I'll rub my eyes and glance at the clock...
then realize it's the weekend
and neither of us has anywhere to be.
Pulling back some blankets
I'll wrap my arm around your chest,
interlace my leg with yours,
and sleep for another hour.

Finally getting up, I'll look out the window
and watch raindrops slipping down the glass
as I turn on the coffeemaker
and pull two black mugs from the dishwasher.
More cream in yours, more sugar in mine
(though walking back to wake you
I'll forget which is which).

Selfishly I'll gently shake you out of sleep,
you'll squint your eyes at me
and curl up with your head in my lap.
The coffee will get cold
but we'll be plenty warm without it.

1 comment:

  1. jesus, that's beautiful.

    and exactly how it can sometimes be, actually. don't let anyone tell you that romantic daydreams don't come true. every so often, these sorts of poems happen.

    ReplyDelete