23 November 2009

Oh Platteville.

I could never (again) live in a small town. I'm at my parent's house for Thanksgiving break and want to scream.

The only coffee shop around closes each evening at 5 p.m. and isn't open on Sundays. Also, everyone (from the college age boy in head-to-toe camo (who isn't out hunting by the way, apparently it's just the fashion)to the couple in the everyone-has-one pickup truck) act like they've never seen a girl with short hair before.

Not that Lincoln is a big city. It just doesn't shut down completely on Sundays and contains a bit of variety.

On the other hand, it's fantastic being off campus. I'm so sick of being known and knowing people at Union College. Beyond a few friends I've stayed in touch with, nobody knows me in Platteville. It's awesome. It reminds me of this summer in Lincoln, except that I'm not making a ton of random friends right now--just soaking in the anonymity.

I wouldn't mind the lack of new faces at Union College maybe if there were actually interesting ones to meet. A few weeks ago I started researching other (public) universities before I again resigned myself to staying at Union. Next year is my senior year, and it would be fiscally irresponsible to transfer.

Maybe if I had time to go downtown--go to shows, meet people who think about more than what Adventist job they want to wind up with--I wouldn't consider life so lackluster.

I feel like I've blogged about this before. Maybe I did. I don't know.

There are a lot of "I don't knows" lately. For instance, what will I do this summer if I can't go to Europe? The only way I can even consider going backpacking this summer is if I get into MDS studies before then. Maybe I could go backpacking for a month in the US/Canada and make it work financially? But that's not what I want. I want Europe, dangit. So, if I don't get to go to Europe where will I go?

I really want to move to some city where I don't know anyone (or just a couple of people at most). I'm aching for adventure and new ideas wearing new faces. Ashville? Back to Madison, but this time on the other side of town? Colorado? That place in Arizona (or New Mexico) I can't remember, but sounded cool? San Fran? Stay in Lincoln and get a job at Hudson Bay?

And what about me and Chelsi this summer? If we're not in the same city, what do I say? And if we are...do I want to be? (not that I don't like her, because obviously I do).

Of course, summer is a long way from now. I've got time, at least in that department. Maybe in the meantime I just need to get off campus more often and re-connect with summer friends (or make new ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment