26 May 2010

give me your words, Saul Williams. give me your words for a new world.

I read the most amazing poembook of my life: , said the shotgun to the head by Saul Williams. I wish the world would read it. Here are my favorite quotes from it:

"Citizens
where is your allegiance?
why do you pledge
with a covered heart
when it needs to be opened?"
-p. 171

"intelligence is intuitive
you needn't learn to love
unless you've been taught
to fear and hate."
-p. 121

"only through my words
might new worlds
be called
into order."
-p. 96

"from now on
cities
will be built
on one side
of the street
so that soothsayers
will have wilderness to wander
and lovers
space enough
to contemplate
a kiss."
-p. 30

"she kissed
as if she, alone,
could forge
the signature
of the sun."
-p. 31

"rivers
like oceans
oceans
like answers
questions
in cloud forms
raindrops
in stanzas."
-p. 42

No comments:

Post a Comment