16 April 2010

Jennifer Knapp, Christian music artist, just came out as gay

In an interview with Christianity today, Knapp was asked if she was "struggling with same-sex attraction when writing [her] first three albums."

Part of her reply, which I pasted below, is beautiful. I think it really follows the experiences of a  lot of people who are gay and Christian. While a lot do struggle with traditional interpretations of text, for many others--some who've read the works by biblical scholars and theologians who've discovered a biblical affirmation for same-sex relations--it's much less about a struggle within or with their own beliefs. Instead, it's as Knapp says:

"It never occurred to me that I was in something that should be labeled as a "struggle." The struggle I've had has been with the church, acknowledging me as a human being, trying to live the spiritual life that I've been called to, in whatever ramshackled, broken, frustrated way that I've always approached my faith. I still consider my hope to be a whole human being, to be a person of love and grace. So it's difficult for me to say that I've struggled within myself, because I haven't. I've struggled with other people. I've struggled with what that means in my own faith. I have struggled with how that perception of me will affect the way I feel about myself."

Haha, I also like her answer to about what the bible says about the orientation:

"The Bible has literally saved my life. I find myself between a rock and a hard place—between the conservative evangelical who uses what most people refer to as the "clobber verses" to refer to this loving relationship as an abomination, while they're eating shellfish and wearing clothes of five different fabrics, and various other Scriptures we could argue about. I'm not capable of getting into the theological argument as to whether or not we should or shouldn't allow homosexuals within our church. There's a spirit that overrides that for me, and what I've been gravitating to in Christ and why I became a Christian in the first place."


Full article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment